Sunday, August 06, 2006

Easy Living

‘Waltz” by Fiona Apple

If you don’t have a song to sing
You’re ok
You know how to get along humming
If you don’t have a date
Celebrate
Go out and sit on the lawn
And do nothing
-Cause it’s just what you must do and
Nobody does it anymore
No, I don’t believe in the wasting of time
But I don’t believe that I am wasting mine

If you don’t have a point to make
Don’t sweat it
You’ll make a sharp one being so kind
(And I’d sure appreciate it)
Everyone else’s goal’s
To get big-headed
Why should I follow that beat,
Being that I’m
Better than fine

Fiona’s new CD is a wonderful mix of what her imagination and voice can do. I have been listening to it almost every day since Byron bought it. It is no longer his, I have taken over possession. It rivals my love for Hem, Rabbit Songs.

I am on my own, beginning today, until Tuesday. I really feel like I am on vacation. I am alone in a home stocked with anything I could need or want, in a town where I know, where I have enough people with love for me. I love sitting in this chair and not moving for another soul except myself! Selfish, yes, but I deserve it. I will have to work tomorrow and I will. It will be easy to get done, no one around to ask for one thing or another, no cleaning to do (my mom is lucky enough to have a housekeeper, who happens to be my oldest friend in the world).

I spent the majority of my day on memory lane. My best friend has driven me around the area I grew up in. My little Miss Kasey, so kindly gave up her morning and afternoon to drive the old back roads and reminisce with me. I really enjoyed it. I was happy to leave that town. Silver Lake is its name. It was a different lifetime for me. I have found that the memories on memory lane have dulled and gone somewhere into the recesses of my brain that I no longer have access to. Blessing or no? I consider my lack of memory a blessing. I have been happier and more forgiving than I would ever be if I had a long memory. If I did not peer through the rose colored glasses my life may have felt different to me. The rose colored glasses have put me here, with good feelings of my past and what it has provided me with. I have had good and bad and awful and wonderful things happen to me, but I am very satisfied that the overall feeling that comes into my life is contentment, happiness, mostly joy….
Speaking of joy, I am sitting in a soft chair, having a glass of Syrah, and looking out the window at beautiful, large (I could get poetic and say majestic) trees. My mom lives on a lake, prime-viewing spot in town. She has taken, with her wonderful husband, my children and my sister’s to another lake that is not anywhere near here. I am praying their camping trip provides them with as much pleasure it is providing me with. Tomorrow I will remember what it feels like to sleep past 6:30 am. Pleasure, pleasure, all around.

No comments: