Saturday, April 12, 2008

Self Help

My mom is back in town visiting. I am happy about that. She came at 7 am on Friday to get both of my kids and bring them to my sister's house for the weekend. This 1) provided child care for Molly why I taught without me having to ask friends or run around my entire half hour lunch break, and 2) got a day of rest for me, and 3) the kids are playing in the pool and spa with their four cousins and Grandma. This is a good thing all the way around.
My Mom, when she came, dropped me off a new book. This is not unusual for her, she brings me books every time. She helps me feed what she feels is a healthy obsession. She will be gone before it manifests itself as piles and stacks of dirty books filling my cramped apartment tot he point where there is only a narrow walkway through each room to pass through. This could be seen as beneficial though, as the books would stack to the ceiling so there would be no room for an old lady to fall and break her hip, the books support her walking. The abundance of silver fish that all of the beautiful expressive pages would bring would suck though. Those things are so gross.
Anyway....the book is called The Power of Now. The title implies a good concept, the back cover explains the book as powerful, phenomenal, and radically life changing. Whoa...slow down, I read life changing and immediately my mind put the book low down in my stacks. I have had a fricken enough life changing in the past few months.

*****I just got back to writing. I went ot say hi to my mail lady friend. When I came back into the house I looked up at our eaves and saw about 25 huge black spiders sunning themselves right above where I sit. My skin is still sort of crawling. I got out the old dyson(I love that thing) and sucked those bastards up. I like living things, just not living spiders on my house, in my house, around my house.

Back to my original post:

I want to adjust well to my changes before embarking on any other personal growth that could possible cause a shift in thinking or living. Let a girl get adjusted to ten things at a time before she adds one more. I bet it is a great book with many positive things, but positive things come with emotional intensity too. I need lower emotional intensity in my life not more at the moment.
Thanks Mom, I will put it under Lady Oracle (my pleasure read by Margaret Atwood), Women Who Run With Wolves (my positive, strength, intuition reinforcing book), Women On Top (my erotic for the usual reasons that accompany a book such as that), and Soul Mates (my thrift store buy regarding understanding relationships in your life, which I have looked at once). Lady Oracle and Women on Top are the most used. The other two take a special mindset to read and take in and I am previously occupied right now.

I am going to sit on my newly vacuumed porch in the sun and read some real stimulating material, People magazine, nothing like mindless entertainment sometimes. I am bringing lemonade too and my cloves, such sweet and relaxing pleasure.

No comments: